1. The Army World Class Athlete Program (WCAP) supports and guides nationally ranked Soldier-athletes who compete and succeed in the Olympic and Paralympic Games, while maintaining military careers and promoting the U.S. Army to the world. WCAP was established to provide Soldiers of world-class caliber with the opportunity to train full time for national and international sports competitions leading to selection and participation with United States national teams, while maintaining their military specialties. Soldiers selected to participate in the program serve in this assignment at the discretion of the Army and may be released and reassigned from the program at any time based on the needs of the Army.
2. In furtherance of this mission, only Soldier-athletes who meet the criteria below will be considered for admittance into the program. Any athlete applying to the WCAP who fails to meet the criteria should expect to have their application denied. Furthermore, merely meeting the entry standard does not guarantee admittance into the program. The standards laid out are the minimum for consideration of a potential applicant.
3. Soldier-athletes who meet the standards below are deemed athletically qualified for entry into the Army WCAP and will be considered for acceptance in to the program for the 2024 Summer Olympic Games at Paris, France and the 2026 Winter Olympic Games at Milan Cortina, Italy
a. A current top-50 ranking in the International Judo Federation (IJF) World Ranking List and meet at least one of the following:
(1) Hold a current top-3 ranking on the USA Judo Senior National Ranking List in an Olympic Weight Class and have at least a C-Level Senior Classification rating.
(2) Finished in the top-3 of the USA Judo Senior National Championship within the past 12 months immediately prior to the date of the Soldier’s WCAP application.
(3) Currently hold a top-2 ranking on the IJF Junior National Ranking List.
b. Competed in the sport of Judo at the Olympic Games held immediately prior to the date of the Soldier’s WCAP application.
More information on the sport of Judo can be found at http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Judo